Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mondeo Strut Removal

Mothers car (2001 Mondeo Zetec) has had another spring snap (common problem on mondeo's)
    So I think I'll end up changing the front two. Is there anything to look out for on the mondeo when it comes to removing/installing the front struts? Removal shouldn't be too bad as the spring looks to have snapped fairly high, so shouldn't be providing alot of spring atm
    Thanks Click here to enlarge

Re: Mondeo Strut Removal

swap all 4 for some eibach pro springs Click here to enlarge lol!!

only thing i've ever been told to do is use new bolts when putting everything back together... but apart from that it should be pretty easy!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I've changed mac pherson struts before, just wasn't sure if there was anything different on the mondeo
    If it was my car I'd be changing them for eibachs, but as it is the mothers car I best leave her with some comfort and ground clearance Click here to enlarge

lol, i dunno she may enjoy the lower CoG and Better handling lol!!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Agreed on the eibachs. Click here to enlarge
    According to Haynes manual main things to look out for are:- you'll need to lower the subframe on the side you need to replace the spring. Before loosening carefully mark the subframe and where it locates on the body so it goes back in exactly the same place. The subframe supported by a trolley jack should then be unbolted and lowered to gain access to the lower arm rear mounting bolt. Make a note of which way the front lower arm balljoint pinch bolt is fitted before unscrewing and removing from the knuckle assembly so it goes back on the same way. When you go to unbolt the strut from the top there should be a white line and arrow pointing towards the front of the car, this should be the same when refitted.
    Once all done it will be worth having a 4 wheel realignment done.
    Mondeo ST TDCi

Fitted
    Eibach prokit lowering springs
    K&N Panel filter
    EBC performance brake discs and Redstuff pads
    Wingspeed Decat pipe
    Forge Motorsport Silicone Boost Hoses and Induction pipe.
    Airtec Intercooler
    MIJ Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust
    AmD Remap. 190bhp, 326.5lb/ft torque.

Click here to enlarge

The ride on Eibachs will be no harsher other than on really bad surfaces. Plus she'll not have to turn so much into bends at speed meaning less tyre wear, infact probably less wear on all the steering assembly.
    Mondeo ST TDCi

Fitted
    K&N Panel filter
    Wingspeed Decat pipe
    Airtec Intercooler

Click here to enlarge

hi neil st
    had to respond on this thread, see my story replacing mondeo springs
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6967#
    i should have read the manual first!! Click here to enlarge i did it with out lowering the subframe , unfortunately it still not the end of the story, since i have used the car i found i successfully managed to damage both outer C.V drive shaft boots! which are now spitting grease out, got dejected and have not rectified it yet, decided to get on with another of my many projects,
    so if you need to remove the hub from the car with out the drive shaft you will need a decent hub puller . also you will need some strong & LONG spring clamps especially if you are replacing std length springs as they need compressing A LOT . hope it goes better for you than mine did not a job i do agin!! Click here to enlarge
    cheers dean.m
    06 mondeo ghia x 2.0 130 tdci,roveron Synergy 1,wingy decat,Eibachs springs,blue led interior lights, osram night breaker H7 & H1 remote folding mirrors,Colour coded rear parking sensors,Falken FK452,s
    areo twins,Zx1,BFG224.

Ouch!
    I was going to fit my springs with my son as part of his college project but the weather started to turn and so bein gimpatient to get them on I had them done at a performance tyre place that fits suspension etc as well. I must admit they did have trouble themselves especially trying to get the subframes to drop they were being really stubborn, also the rear off side bolts just didn't want to undo. The poor mechanics air gun was rattling like a goodun bouncing on it's clutch trying to loosen them. So in the end I was glad I paid to have it done.
    Mondeo ST TDCi

Fitted
    K&N Panel filter
    Wingspeed Decat pipe
    Airtec Intercooler

Click here to enlarge

Dean, I had totally forgotten you had done this for the same reasons!
    Thanks for the replies lads, all sounds common sense stuff to me (hopefully)
    Going to have to slap some red oxide on the strut tower as it's rubbed off the paint where she has continued to drive it!
    Click here to enlarge

hi T
    i still have not forgotten! and would advise anybody to pay to have it done ! Click here to enlarge question is do I ( gluten for punishment) fit the new drive shafts or get some one to fit them???? Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    dean.m
    06 mondeo ghia x 2.0 130 tdci,roveron Synergy 1,wingy decat,Eibachs springs,blue led interior lights, osram night breaker H7 & H1 remote folding mirrors,Colour coded rear parking sensors,Falken FK452,s
    areo twins,Zx1,BFG224.