Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

squeaking noise from rear!

iya peopa just hoping you guys could help me, i have a squeaking noise coming from the rear of my 306 hdi! i have no idea what it is and it has got progresivley worse, its near anoth a constent thing but does seem to be more clear at low speeds! iv had the car jacked up and no sign of leaks from the shockers and from what i can see the rubber are fine! any help would be appreciated!
    Click here to enlarge
    ---306 hdi---Stage 2 165bhp 270lb/ft, De-Cat, De-EGR, Induction Kit, FMIC
    98% of people hate Jeremy Clarkson. If you are part of the 2% which doesn't, put this in your sig!

Straights Are For Fast Cars, Corners Are For Fast Drivers... Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Tom-Baxter/692255268

Re: squeaking noise from rear!

Check the rubber mounts are bolted up tight, both to the axle and through the chassis.

Does it squeak when you jump in the boot? Is it worse when you pull away or stop? Forwards or backwards, round corners etc?

Check there's nothing rubbing on the rear wheels, eg the arch liner. Rear discs or drums?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EGT
    Check the rubber mounts are bolted up tight, both to the axle and through the chassis.

Does it squeak when you jump in the boot? Is it worse when you pull away or stop? Forwards or backwards, round corners etc?

Check there's nothing rubbing on the rear wheels, eg the arch liner. Rear discs or drums?
    iya pal yes it squeaks when i jump on the boot and it doesnt seem worse if im pulling off r round corners its just most of the time but not as noticeable at high speed! i will check the rubbers 2morrow, is it possible it could of come loose? o and it discs on the rear thanks alot for the help!

tom
    Click here to enlarge
    98% of people hate Jeremy Clarkson. If you are part of the 2% which doesn't, put this in your sig!

Straights Are For Fast Cars, Corners Are For Fast Drivers... Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

With it being an hdi its at most 10 years old soon but depending on mileage etc its possible the rear beam bearings are dying because the rubber seal has periished & allowed water through into the bearings washing the grease away.

Hopefully if it is this you can catch it quickly before the radius arm shafts get marked / scored rendering them scrap as they are 70+ each from sources on ebay (pug racing) or over 3100 each from Pug. You also need use of a press to remove / refit the new ones if you need them.

Bearings & seals etc are ~100 for both sides from Pug but if you haven't refurbished your beam now its a worthwhile thing to do as if they go to far its an expensive fix.

Alternatively it could be something as simple as the exhaust rubbers perishing so its moved making it catch somewhere slightly & causing the squeak.

Graham.
    Mini invented the giant killer, VW started the genre, Ford & Vauxhall Desecrated it, but the little Peugeot 205 GTI was (& still is) undoubtedly the king of the breed.
    White 1988 1.6 GTI, Black 1990 205 1.6(ish) GTI, White 1991 1.8 16v GTI project, 2000 306 hdi.

it would be easier trying to nail a jelly to a tree......................

Bill Hicks, Revelations

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by g
    With it being an hdi its at most 10 years old soon but depending on mileage etc its possible the rear beam bearings are dying because the rubber seal has periished & allowed water through into the bearings washing the grease away.

Hopefully if it is this you can catch it quickly before the radius arm shafts get marked / scored rendering them scrap as they are 70+ each from sources on ebay (pug racing) or over 3100 each from Pug. You also need use of a press to remove / refit the new ones if you need them.

Bearings & seals etc are ~100 for both sides from Pug but if you haven't refurbished your beam now its a worthwhile thing to do as if they go to far its an expensive fix.

Alternatively it could be something as simple as the exhaust rubbers perishing so its moved making it catch somewhere slightly & causing the squeak.

Graham.
    Hi Graham well my car has 88000 on the clock. I have some knowledge on working on cars but not loads so not 100% when you say rear beam bearing, do u mean the wheel bearing? I did as EGT said and made sure the axle rubber mounts where tight, they did tighten a bit and the squeaking did seem to be better but its still quite frequent! What would your advise be to diagnose what the noise is? It makes the noise when i push up and down on the boot! Thanks a lot for the advise!

tom
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tbaxter08700
    Hi Graham, when you say rear beam bearing, do u mean the wheel bearing?

tom
    Hi Tom,

I mean the forward end of the radius arm where it sits into the main tube for the rear beam, close to where the torsion bar fits in.

This guide shows what I mean better & how to do the refurb if its needed, its the same as on a 205 / 309.

Mileage is tricky when aging a beam, with it squeaking when you push the boot sill down it points more to the radius arm bearings imo.

It might still be the passive steer rear beam forward mounts as they are known to fail but I don't know the symptoms of a failed one & I removed them from my car for a set of BBM group A mounts;
    Click here to enlarge

The best diagnosis unfortumately is strip the beam & refurbish it, at least that way you know the condition of your rear beam & its approaching the age where its best doing it now rather than to late, even if you don't intend keeping the car long as its a good resale point imo.

Graham.
    Mini invented the giant killer, VW started the genre, Ford & Vauxhall Desecrated it, but the little Peugeot 205 GTI was (& still is) undoubtedly the king of the breed.
    White 1988 1.6 GTI, Black 1990 205 1.6(ish) GTI, White 1991 1.8 16v GTI project, 2000 306 hdi.

Bill Hicks, Revelations

Hi Graham, when you say rear beam bearing, do u mean the wheel bearing?

tom
    Hi Tom,

I mean the forward end of the radius arm where it sits into the main tube for the rear beam, close to where the torsion bar fits in.

This guide shows what I mean better & how to do the refurb if its needed, its the same as on a 205 / 309.

Mileage is tricky when aging a beam, with it squeaking when you push the boot sill down it points more to the radius arm bearings imo.

It might still be the passive steer rear beam forward mounts as they are known to fail but I don't know the symptoms of a failed one & I removed them from my car for a set of BBM group A mounts;
    Click here to enlarge

The best diagnosis unfortumately is strip the beam & refurbish it, at least that way you know the condition of your rear beam & its approaching the age where its best doing it now rather than to late, even if you don't intend keeping the car long as its a good resale point imo.

Graham.
    O right i know what you mean now! Well im hoping it want be that and be something reasonably quick to mend as i need the car everyday. How can i check if its the axle mounts? Since i tightened the bolts other day the squeaking isn't as constant! Thanks for that guide btw im sure it will come in useful 1 day!

cheers

tom
    Click here to enlarge

O right i know what you mean now! Well im hoping it want be that and be something reasonably quick to mend as i need the car everyday. How can i check if its the axle mounts?

cheers

tom
    Rebuilding the rear beam can be done in a day if you're handy with the tools, its nowhere near as daunting as it might appear.

I don't know how to check the rear mounts to see if they have failed, I guess it'll involve a prybar underneath where the beam mounts but it might be worth asking at an MOT station because they are often found on an MOT if they have failed afaik.

Graham.

Bill Hicks, Revelations

O right i know what you mean now! Well im hoping it want be that and be something reasonably quick to mend as i need the car everyday. How can i check if its the axle mounts?

cheers

tom
    Rebuilding the rear beam can be done in a day if you're handy with the tools, its nowhere near as daunting as it might appear.

I don't know how to check the rear mounts to see if they have failed, I guess it'll involve a prybar underneath where the beam mounts but it might be worth asking at an MOT station because they are often found on an MOT if they have failed afaik.

Graham.
    o i mite have a go then, whats the cost roughly?
    Click here to enlarge

o i mite have a go then, whats the cost roughly?
    For the bearings & seals etc from Peugeot around 100 but if you need the radius arm shafts thats when it gets expensive.

Click here to enlarge

The list above is for a full rear beam for a 205 iirc from Peugeot but everything apart from the second item is used on the 306 so two of each of the rest on that list is the approx total for a beam refurb.

The top item (5167.17) is only needed if your radius arm shafts are worn when you take the beam apart though.

Graham.

Bill Hicks, Revelations