Fiesta 1.4 TDCi diesel leak solution

....for those who have a problem.

Could not find a solution to my problem here so now I'm on my way to a fix, I thought I'd share my findings.

Symptoms - with no discernible loss in performance, there was strong smell of diesel fuel when at standstill. Investigating, the back of the engine block was 'wet' with fuel.

Removing the air cleaner, the clear low pressure return pipe (mentioned elsewhere on the forum) turned out to be intact.

Here's the culprit - the injector low pressure return connector. The top image is wet as I was initially unsure where the leak was and had washed the engine with soapy water. Look carefully at the damaged green washer below.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Good luck with your problem!

Re: Fiesta 1.4 TDCi diesel leak solution

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by diesel-fit-her
    ....for those who have a problem.

Could not find a solution to my problem here so now I'm on my way to a fix, I thought I'd share my findings.

Symptoms - with no discernible loss in performance, there was strong smell of diesel fuel when at standstill. Investigating, the back of the engine block was 'wet' with fuel.

Removing the air cleaner, the clear low pressure return pipe (mentioned elsewhere on the forum) turned out to be intact.

Here's the culprit - the injector low pressure return connector. Look carefully at the green washer.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Good luck with your problem!
    we do around 2/3 a week in the garage Click here to enlarge

Thanks, so it's a real problem then. Does the fault always occur on the most right cylinder (looking under the bonnet from the front) as it has for me? If so, it suggests their may be too much pressure and flow at this injector with the return fuel from the other three cylinders also running through this connector at this point.

So is there a fix for the underlying problem?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by diesel-fit-her
    Thanks, so it's a real problem then. Does the fault always occur on the most right cylinder (looking under the bonnet from the front) as it has for me? If so, it suggests their may be too much pressure and flow at this injector with the return fuel from the other three cylinders also running through this connector at this point.

So is there a fix for the underlying problem?
    its a production flaw (psa)
    we use lots of grease/vaseline when we mount them
    also want to warn you :
    do everything at the same :
    get the injectors out
    clean everything , put new copper rings on them and fit them with the right Nm (theyre coming loose after a while and it sounds like you have a steamtrain then Click here to enlarge )

Replacement part

The replacement part...

Click here to enlarge

Injected some washing up liquid into my hose pipe and gave the back of the engine a bit of a soapy rinse to clear the diesel.

Have started a 3 year service as per the Haynes manual - brakes getting much needed attention it seems following main dealer service since new ('Click here to enlarge').

All seems well with this TDCi. Thanks for your comments Titanium X.

Mine is pi55ing out atm.
    Car is still under warranty, so just rang the garage to get it sorted.
    Awaiting the call back.
    1.4 TDCI ZETEC MOONDUST SILVER