Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2.0 DTi Vauxhall Vectra Wont start!

Hi there everyone, as the title says ive got a major problem where i cant get my vectra too start. Ive tried firing it up many times with jump leads hooked up to my brothers car and it just turns over with no signs of starting. Only very rarely will it cough abit and twice ive managing to actually get it started, but... keeping foot on accelerator and it still after about 10 seconds conked out. When it does cough or rarely start its chugs aload of white smoke out.

Now, quick background into how this problem has come about. I bought the car approximately 7 weeks ago. ran fine for around 5 weeks but then all of a sudden as i went to reverse into my parking spot at work it cut out on me and wouldnt start back up. I tried jumping it off a van and it still wouldnt start, so that night i fully charged the battery and put it back in the next day to find it still wouldnt start (Ruling out that it was a dead battery). I called a mechanic out to it and he claimed the reason it wasnt starting is because the car was previously ran on chip fat oil that hadnt been filtered correctly and it had seized the fuel pipes. He also said that one of the heaters that was fitted by the previous owner to run it on this chip fat oil had gone faulty and wasnt working, overheated and thats what caused the battery to go flat. So his repair to my car was to rip out all the mods to run it on this chip fat oil and to fit new fuel pipes where needed and scrape as much **** out from the bottom of the fuel tank. This all made sense to me and i was 100% lead to believe that this would solve the problem. The problem was solved and it cost me 250, but it lasted all of 2 days, when funnily enough when again reversing into my parking space at work it cut out again (strange thing happened when reversing too was that since he gave me my car back my reverse parking sensors were not working, and then on this certain reverse where it cut out they were working for the first time again...doubt this has anything to do with it though?).

I rang the mechanic telling him its got the exact same problem as before and he came out to look at it again and said he got it started after alot of attempts, had a drive round in it and as he got back to park at work again it cut out on him. He basically knocked it on the head with me saying he thinks its the fuel pump, which at the time i just said right forget it then. Now after doing some research i really dont believe its the fuel pump itself, maybe possibly the fuel pump ecu?

I have tried using my brothers op-com on the car and there is only 1 fault code coming up which is saying glow device low battery voltage (which i think just means i have 1 glow plug that needs changing) but no other fault codes came up which was surprising.

Yesterday we tried cracking the nuts on the injector pipes and tried firing it up and there was diesel squirting out of 3 of the pipes and very minimal if any at all coming out of the other 1.

Im at the point now where im really unsure what to do next. All i can think as the next thing to try is to remove the fuel pump ecu and check for dry joints as i hear these boards get problems. I would like suggestions though if this is a good idea or whether i can try anything else first that is more simple before i try this as i think it will be hard work to remove the fuel pump ecu.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and your help will be greatly appreciated Click here to enlarge

Banter Klaus

Re: 2.0 DTi Vauxhall Vectra Wont start!

Did you change the fuel filter after putting the fuel system back to standard?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

No, but i ran the car on normal diesel since i bought it if this makes any difference, and the fuel filter looks fine its not full of ****

Banter Klaus

Just wondering if its sucked something through and blocked an injector.
    Will it start, or even splutter as if it wants to start if you squirt a little easy start into the inlet manifold?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Not going to get chance over next 3 days as im working away and my car is at work but when i get chance i will buy some easy start and try this definetly, cheers Click here to enlarge

Is this a vectra b or a vectra c?
    IDI POWER

its a Vectra C mate

Banter Klaus

Any further forward Daz?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Not really mally, been really busy last few days, but i have got it towed back to my house now and i did buy some easy start. So once christmas is over i shall be gettin back on it.

Well, my car is now running and hopefully will stay that way (fingers crossed). I did alot of work on it yesterday by starting off with checking the fuel filter housing for cracks leaks and its seals and it appeared that when i had removed the seal it hadnt seemed to of been on properly because it had indentation (grooves) where it looked liked it could of been hanging out slightly. Sorted this problem by putting the seal back on properly and top the fuel filter up with diesel and tried starting but was still the same.

Next we cracked the injector nuts (all of them) and cranked the engine, and tightened the nuts one by one. Tried starting the car again but wasnt happening. So we tried with spraying easy start into the air intake and a few times it was starting and you would be revving the engine but then after seconds it would just cut out.

So then we moved onto the fuel strainer under the back seat. We took it apart and figured out how it worked and it looked like the level of diesel in there just seemed to low. So we decided to get 5 litres of diesel and stick that in. Put the strainer back together top the fuel filter up again and tried firing it up but with no luck. Then we tried with easy start spraying **** loads in and it started and i kept the revs at over 4k for about 2 minutes afraid to let of the revs thinking it would just conck out. I just slowly let the the revs fall and it ticked over on its own at 1k for the very first time. So let it tick over for about 20 mins and then drove to the petrol station to fill up and its been fine since. But we shall see how it goes.

The fuel gauge never read lower than very top end of the red so surely it couldnt of been that there wasnt enough fuel? Im thinking that there was a really bad air lock.

Really glad its working though now and fingers crossed it carrys on that way Click here to enlarge Thank you all for your help Click here to enlarge